It is one of the mandates of a healthy and Democratic government that there should be a good and strong Opposition party versus the Ruling Party or Government, to maintain balance of power between absolute Autocracy or Dictatorship of the Ruling Party, and Anarchy. India, since its independence, has adopted Democracy as the basic principle of its Government, but is it working as such? The present Government of India formed by the Bhartiya Janata Party and its allies, viz. the National Democratic Alliance, is headed by a powerful and principled leader, Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He Has made some important and necessary changes in the interest of the nation, e.g. for the Control of Corruption and Improvement of Public Hygiene like construction of Toilets, ‘Swachchhata Abhiyan’ etc. HOWEVER, the Parties that form the Opposition at present have become deplorably weak or almost defunct, EITHER because of their own infighting and/or charges of corruption against them, like the Congress, Aam Aadmi Party(AAP), Bahujan Samaj Party, Rashtriya Janata Dal, and DMK/AIADMK , OR on account of the high incidence of uncontrolled violence in their respective states, as in UP during the rule of the Samajwadi Party, (which is taking time to subside even now), the Trinmool Congress Party in West Bengal, the Communist parties in WB and Kerala, and BOTH the National Conference as well as the People’s Democratic Party of Jammu-Kashmir, due to which they have lost their standing before the public of India. As a result, (with the exception of the political parties of Jammu -Kashmir), they cannot bring sufficient pressure on the Government or the allies of the ruling party like RSS to curb certain excesses that have started occuring in the name of religious dogma due to orthodox ideas of ‘Hindutva’, like Mob Lynchings on people of other religions and Dalits as an excuse for ‘Cow Vigilantism’ and Beef Ban’, as well as some Financial steps taken by RBI under the dictation of BJP which have not gone down well with the people, like demonetisation and GST to give a few examples. As a news magazine, ‘The Economist’ has remarked, “The BJP Government does have its faults,but the Opposition is -‘HOPELESS’!
- Hence it is the ‘Need of The Hour’ that some powerful , broadminded and popular leader should gather the support of capable people with a record of honesty and credibility to create a Just and Strong opposition group or party. The QUESTION is, Who is the leader with a frank and independent mind, who can garner the support of all right thinking political leaders to initiate this rebuilding of a clean, steady and formidable Opposition (in place of the current dilapidated group). Shankarsinh Vaghela and Capt. Amarinder Singh of the Congress, as also Nitish Kumar of JD(U) HAVE the ability but lack the will or perhaps the confidence to take up the challenge.Therefore, they prefer to stay where they are, or join the Governing party.
- It is not understood why despite the obvious declining popularity of the Congress among the general public and its loosening hold over its members, greatly due to the apparent inadequacy and unfitness of Rahul Gandhi to lead the party, none of its senior leaders are taking the decision and initiative, in their Party’s and the Nation’s interest, to take over the absolute authority from Sonia and Rahul Gandhi and entrust it to a more able member to restore the faith of its members and public in the party, OR separate to set up another party, as some top rebel leaders did during the time of Indira Gandhi, to form Congress (Opposition) i.e.Cong(O) as distinct from Congress (Indira) or Cong(I)! (It is enough to withdraw the reins of power of the Congress party from ‘Sonia Sultan’, the ‘Dyna-Mo'(m) of the Gandhi family and the Congress, and compel her to go into political retirement, for the Gandhi bastion to collapse, and leave the post of Congress President open for a more competent leader to assume. For Rahul is just the ‘Dummy of his Mummy’)! It is sad to see that the present group of politicians are either slavishly loyal to the Gandhis or the Lalu Prasad/ Mulayam Singh Yadav family, or given to their own selfish personal ambitions than to maintenance of democracy in India. They choose to stay on with the Congress/ Rashtriya Janata Dal/Samajwadi Party despite their disillusionment with the lack of credibility or capability of Sonia and Rahul Gandhi, or of the Yadavs,Without making any Effort to Dislodge the unsteady and irresponsible Rahul and corrupt Sonia from the post of Vice- President and President, or Tejaswi Prasad Yadav from his Ministerial post, as also Akhilesh Yadav to improve the standard of the respective parties. OR else, All the dissidents rush to join the Ruling ‘Band Wagon’ at the Centre, that is, the ‘Rising Sun’, so that there is hardly anything like a formidable Opposition left in India Today for Balance of Power. BUT, it does not occur to the rebels of the different parties to unite and form a new party with a good and moderate ideology to have a significant ‘Voice’ in Both Houses of the Parliament. So much for Patriotism and Democracy in India! This is because Indians are forever divided among themselves on the basis of Religion, Caste, Region and Language. We have not yet learnt to think of all Indians as One Community. It also seems that the majority of Indians are so used to Dictator- ship under successive invaders and their Dynasties that they ‘Can’t Digest’ Independence or Democracy! That is seen from the fact that they chose to elect Three of the first four Prime Ministers of India repeatedly, from the Nehru-Gandhi family, from the first PM Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, who was practically a dictator, (considering the way in which he dominated and overruled his Cabinet of Ministers including the Deputy PM Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and Dr. B.R.Ambedkar, the Architect of the Indian Constitution, thereby creating almost irreversible problems on the Kashmir and Chinese front), to his even more imperial daughter Indira Gandhi (who lost her earlier lofty and popular image due to the Emergency laden by her in 1975, compounded by the aggressive, sterilisation campaign launched by her younger son Sanjay, and then, the ‘Operation Blue Star’ in 1984, during which many Sikhs were massacred, in which her politicaly new and raw but smug elder son Rajiv was also involved, who too during his own term as PM earned notoriety on account of the Bofors scam), to rule India for a lengthy period from India’s Independence in 1947 to 1989, barring a few short periods of alternative rule – viz. (1) under Lal Bahadur Shastri from demise of Nehru in mid-1964 to his own death in January 1966,s he was the seniormost minister in Nehru’s cabinet, and again (2) under the Janata Party headed by Morarji Desai from 1977-80, for which the credit goes to (late) Jaiprakash Narayan. This Second break was a reaction by India’s people to the Emergency imposed by Indira Gandhi from mid1975-March1977, but it also failed to complete its full term due to internal squabbling. The reign of the Gandhi Dynasty would have continued further after 1991 upto 2014 (except for the 6 years gap from 1998-2004 under Atal Bihari Vajpayee led BJP Government), if it had not been for the unexpected, untimely death of Rajiv Gandhi by his assassination in May 1991. The nation has paid heavily for this excessive adulation for the Gandhi family including their daughter-in-law Sonia, who ruled India by proxy after RajivG, and was the real power behind Dr. Man Mohan Singh until Narendra Modiji of BJP beat them and the Congress hollow in the 2014 elections!
- On the Other hand, India suffered the drawbacks of a weak leader- ship and virtual ‘Anarchy’- First under the new and raw ‘National Front’ Govt formed by Vishwanath Pratap Singh in November 1989, for which almost all Indians had voted with full enthusiasm and hope, but which turned out to be the most disappointing and short lived experiment for establishing a non-Congress,non-dynastic govt, as it ended miserably due to the faulty and rigid policies adopted and imposed on the people by the VP govt, like the Mandal Commission granting exorbitant reservation in educational institutions and government services forBackward Castes and Tribes, in protest of which there was a spate of suicides in mid1990. The brutal attack by bullets by the State Police on Kar Sevaks in Ayodhya on October 30, 1990, under the order of Mulayam Singh Yadav, then CM of UP, also reflected badly on the control of the Law and Order situation by the Central Govt. The mass killings and exodus of Kashmiri Pandits from Kashmir valley too occurred in January 1990, after VPSingh assumed the office of PM in the first week of December1989, so that it could verily be termed as a disastrous or ‘Qayamat se Qayamat Tak’ Government! (However though, the blame for the holocaust in Kashmir should go, in all fairness, more to the previous Congress party govt under the PMship of Rajiv Gandhi and Farooq Abdullah’s National Conference ruled J-K Govt than to VP Singh, as the seeds for the explosion of anti-Hindu hatred by the Kashmiri Muslims were said to have been insidiously sown in the Valley by Sunni Pathan fanatics who sneaked in from Afganistan and instigated the local thitherto fairly peaceful Muslims from 1986, after Rajiv Gandhi becoming the PM, which Rajiv and Fatooq were not alert enough to Nip in the Bud! Another low point was reached during the Congress rule under the meek, soft PM Dr.Manmohan Singh, from 2004-14 which was said to be more of a ‘proxy rule’ by Sonia Gandhi and Rahul’s Brazen Insubordination. Dr.Singh is said to have been prompted by Sonia Gandhi to consider giving up India’s hold over Siachen in 2013! His lack of control over the scams being made by his ministers as well as by Sonia and Rahul is what led to his ultimate defeat in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
- No wonder a large, hitherto complacent section of people of the nation is reeling under the countershock of the radical, uncompromising Modi led BJP-NDA Govt now, which is almost Sure to Continue after the next Lok Sabha elections in 2019, and quite possibly after 2024 too, upto 2029 or as long as he remains fit enough to rule, may be even after 2034 ! After all, did Morarji Desai of the Janata Party not become the Prime Minister of India at the ripe old age of 84? And if he doesn’t, Amit Shah who is the next popular BJP leader is a good 14 years younger than Modi to carry the BJP torch forward till 2047-48 to hoist the National Flag in the year of the Diamond Jubilee of India’s Independence! At that time, the Congress darling Rahul Gandhi would also be of a ripe old age of 77 years. The Congress is insistent upon keeping him as their President until it becomes certain that he can never be the Prime Minister.So unless some daring Congressman challenges and overthrows Rahul, Indian National Congress is doomed,as also the other parties too.
- For as it stands today, THERE ARE HARDLY ANY DEDICATED, DARING LEADERS LEFT IN INDIA TO TAKE the INITIATIVE and CHALLENGE OF UNITING CAPABLE, COMMITTED PERSONS FROM ALL PARTS OF INDIA FOR REVIVAL OF A SOUND AND SINCERE OPPOSITION! THEREFORE“Jab Tak Congresske Mukhiya Gandhi,Aur AAPke Khivaiyya Kejri, Tab Tak Hamein Hain Yakin, Bharatke Mahaneta MODI !”
SHAYAD YEHI HAI BHARAT KI ‘NIYATI’!
Perhaps, a clever leader who is not the blind follower of any Political party, can take the lead to Breathe Life into our Moribund Opposition with the gathering of genuine, honest and capable persons to achieve the target!